Your Guide to Visiting the Crown Jewel of IdahoApril 30, 2021
Known as the Crown Jewel of Idaho, Priest Lake is a year-round destination for families and adventure seekers alike. Coupled with its superior landscape and variety of outdoor activities, Priest Lake is a memorable experience for anyone who visits. From fishing and hiking to snowmobiling and cozy year-round cabins, discover our guide to visiting the Crown Jewel of Idaho.
In the spring and summer
During the spring and summer, most visitors take advantage of the long, sunny days on the sandy shores of Priest Lake. Fishing, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boating, jet skiing, swimming, snoozing in lawn chairs, beach volleyball, and picnicking are all popular activities along the Priest Lake coast. Spend a day in the mountains with multiple trails for hikers and bikers, plus accessible routes for climbers.
Elkins Resort offers a boat launch, which makes boating on the lake easily accessible. Our marina has over 60 boat slips (both covered and open), as well as a gas pump at the boat dock for your convenience.
In the fall and winter
In autumn, the hiking trails near Priest Lake provide a peaceful escape and instantly usher you into beautiful scenery! The late fall and early winter seasons are two of the most beautiful times to walk along Priest Lake and watch the trees turn from lush greens to vibrant yellows and reds. In the snowy winter months, you will find 400 miles of groomed trails in the surrounding areas that are perfect for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling.
Discover more about Priest Lake for your next vacation.
No matter what time of year, visitors to Priest Lake will find a variety of activities to keep them busy.
- Snowmobiling – Snowmobiling at Priest Lake is a top activity in winter. Snowmobilers will experience windswept ridges, snow-filled bowls, and breathtaking views from every vantage point. When you stay at Elkins Resort, you will have access to hundreds of miles of groomed snowmobile trails.
- Mountain biking – Enjoy miles of mountain biking trails along Priest Lake. There are a variety of routes available to accommodate all distances and difficulty levels. Easily accessible from the Resort, our mountain biking tracks are the perfect blend of good fun and exercise.
- Hiking – Get out and explore the Selkirk Mountains and the trails surrounding Priest Lake with an afternoon hike. Take a walk along the lake or hike up in the mountains for truly unforgettable views! There are beautiful trails to the Upper Lake as well as spectacular hikes to historic lookout towers.
- Golf – Take a swing at the Priest Lake Golf Course. This beautiful 18-hole golf course offers over 6,500-yards of challenging golf on a course nestled among the lush forests and wetlands that are so characteristic of the Priest Lake region.
- Fishing – If your idea of the perfect getaway is to catch the “big” one, then you’re in luck! Priest Lake contains 40 square miles of “lucky fishing spots,” so everyone from the novice anglers to the seasoned fisherman will find something to catch!
Stay at Elkins Resort
Enjoy the best of the Crown Jewel of Idaho with a stay at Elkins Resort. Our year-round lodging at Priest Lake offers 30 cedar cabins situated along the lake at Reeder Bay. Whether you want a cabin on the lake or a creek-side cabin, we offer the comfort and tranquility you are looking for, no matter the season. Each accommodation provides a full kitchen, bathroom, and living area, with some equipped with a fireplace and views of the lake.